The Primghar Library was established by the Social Dozen, a women's club, in 1916. Its initial collection came from a reception where admission was two books; other books came from a pay library in the drugstore. The first library was in the hardware store. A library board was appointed by the mayor in 1920, and a tax levy was made.
The former German Evangelical Church; purchased for $1650, remodeled, and dedicated on February 11, 1950; became the library.
In 1962, with the assistance of the State Traveling Library, obsolete books were discarded and the Dewey decimal system installed.
Our library is underwritten by city and county allotments, and by gifts
and bequests from generous clubs, organizations, and friends of the
Assembled by ovk. Last updated 10/1/2014